by Dr. Deborah S. Miller, St. Louis, Mo.
Dr. Miller is closing her office July 25, 2018. Click here for a list of recommended mental health providers.
Couples / Marriage Counseling
Approximately 50% of marriages end in divorce. This is a very scary statistic. How can you make sure your relationship lasts? All couples experience conflict; few are equipped to handle their differences. Relationship counseling provides a safe place to learn how to address your stuck points in a constructive and healing way.
Who comes to counseling?
Typically couples who:
- Have suffered years of frustration and silence
- Feel stuck, angry, or bored but want to move forward
- Have built up lots of resentment
- Have been hurt from dishonesty
- Are afraid to say what they want and need
- Are afraid of a partner's defensiveness, anger, or worse... disinterest
The goals of marriage / couple counseling are to:
- Build a vision and set positive goals for the future
- Articulate needs and wishes
- Build collaboration and friendship
- Re-instill 'fun' back into the relationship
A good counselor does not take sides, does not point fingers. A good counselor acknowledges that YOU are the expert in your relationship. I will help you be more aware of the dynamics in your relationship, help you articulate your 'needs', and help you decide what can be changed in the relationship. Counseling is present and future focused. The past will not be dwelled on.
What is needed for a successful counseling experience?
- Willingness to listen
- Commitment to make change
- Sense of Humor
- Acceptance that little changes lead to bigger changes
- Accept responsibility for mistakes
- Willingness to forgive (not forget)
- Willingness to do homework outside of counseling sessions
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that counseling will repair your relationship. But the longer you suffer, the more scars will develop.
Call now to schedule an appointment.
You are worth the effort!
Dr. Deborah S. Miller
Marriage Counseling - St. Louis
301 Sovereign Court, Suite 211
St. Louis, MO 63011
Tel: (314) 650-2834
Fax: (314) 696-2953